The Odisha Vigilance sleuths claimed to have unearthed property worth crores of rupees in possession of Santosh Kumar Das, an Assistant Engineer in the Integrated Tribal Development Agency (ITDA) who is posted at Baripada in Mayurbhanj district, in multiple raids carried out on Thursday.
During searches at the properties linked to Das, the Vigilance sleuths allegedly recovered a total of Rs 41.77 lakh cash which is the highest ever cash recovery from a public servant in Odisha by the anti-corruption agency so far.
Vigilance sources said that the property amassed by Das is disproportionate to his known source of income.
Separate Vigilance teams, consisting of 10 DSPs, 4 Inspectors, and 30 other staff carried out raids at as many as 11 locations including Bhubaneswar, Balasore and Mayurbhanj linked to Das.
During searches that were conducted till late on Thursday night, Rs 28,17,800 and 659 gms gold were recovered from Das’ house in Balasore, said a press release issued by the Odisha Vigilance on Friday.
Earlier On Thursday, the Vigilance had recovered Rs 13.6 lakh during the raids. A total of Rs 41.77 lakh cash and 659 grams gold ornaments have been recovered so far, added the Vigilance.
During the searches in Bhubaneswar, the anti-corruption sleuths detected a four-storey building at Bargarh, one flat at Sailashree Vihar and a semi-finished building at Kalinga Vihar.
A four-storey building and three plots were detected at Balasore while the Vigilance has also found one four-wheeler and three two-wheelers from Das’ possession, added the release.
Meanwhile, a Vigilance team has brought Das to his Bargarh, Britt Colony residence in the Capital City where his one more property is likely to be searched today.
Major cash seizures by Odisha Vigilance recently:
- Santosh Kumar Das, Assistant Engineer, ITDA, Baripada- Rs 41.77 Lakh on November 26, 2021.
- Pratap Kumar Samal, Deputy Manager, Odisha Police Housing and Welfare Corporation (OPHWC), Bhubaneswar- Rs 38,12,900 on November 11, 2021.
- Narottam Behera, Regional Officer (RO), State Pollution Control Board (SPCB), Balasore- Rs 16,50,013 on October 9, 2021.
- Ashutosh Mishra, Special Public Prosecutor, Bhawanipatna- Rs 15,60,140 on July 3, 2021.
- Basanta Kumar Pani, Head Clerk, office of PA, ITDA Office at Baliguda in Kandhamal- Rs 13.25 Lakh on November 3, 2021.
- Biranchi Narayan Sahoo, Private Secretary to Member, OSSC in Bhubaneswar- Rs 12,46,492 July 30, 2021.
- Bidhan Chandra Sahu, Superintending Engineer (SE) of Baitarani Irrigation Division, Keonjhar- Rs 10,07,620 on October 9, 2021.