The Odisha Vigilance on Wednesday conducted raids at the multiple properties linked to Manoj Kumar Behera, Executive Engineer of Drainage Division at Gandarpur in Cuttack on the allegation of the government servant amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Separate teams of anti-graft agency, including four DSPs, eight inspectors and other staff, conducted searches at four places, including Cuttack and Bhubaneswar on the strength of search warrant issued by the Special Judge, Vigilance in Cuttack.
In Cuttack, the Vigilance sleuths searched Behera’s residential double storey building at Mahanadi Vihar under Chauliaganj Police Station limits, paternal house at Lendura Bhagabanpur under Nemala Police Station limits and office room in the Executive Engineer Irrigation, Drainage Division located at Gandarpur.
Similar raids were also carried out at Behera’s flat, registered in the name of Debasmita Behera (wife of Behera) in Utkal Heights at Pahala in Bhubaneswar.
During the searches at the properties of Behera, the following movable and immovable assets have been recovered so far:
- Rs 3,31,960 cash, including Rs 75,500 which was recovered from a vegetable tray kept inside the refrigerator.
- Palatial double storey building at Mahanadi Vihar, Cuttack constructed over plot no.1333-P.
- Flat in the name of Debasmita Behera (Behera’s wife) over plot No.668, Khata No.352/165 in Utkal Heights at Pahala, Bhubaneswar worth over Rs 34.52 lakh.
- Gold Jewellery approx 480 gms.
- 6 plots in prime areas of Cuttack, Bhubaneswar. Details below:
- One plot at Chandrasekharpur, Bhubaneswar in the name of Behera worth Rs 19.80 lakh.
- One plot at Mahanadi Vihar, Cuttack in the name of Behera, worth Rs 8.64 lakh.
- Two plots at Jagamara, Bhubaneswar in the name of Debasmita Behera worth Rs 20.90 lakh.
- One plot at Anantapur, Bhubaneswar in the name of Debasmita Behera worth Rs 12.42 lakh.
- One plot at Bhanapur, Cuttack in the name of Debasmita Behera worth Rs 9.20 lakh.
The valuation of these plots have been made as per the registered Sale Deed, which totals to around Rs 70.94 lakh. However, undervaluation of the plots during registration is being suspected.
A probe has been initiated in the matter. The actual price is likely to be much higher. The Vigilance Technical Wing will carry out detailed measurement and assessment, said the Vigilance.
6. Fixed deposits, bank and Insurance deposits worth over Rs 31 lakh.
The exact amount of disproportionate assets is yet to be ascertained as the searches are still on, said reports.