Mrunal Manmay Dash

The post mortem report of software engineer Sweta Utkal Kumari has confirmed her cause of death as asphyxiation, informed the Commissionerate Police sources on Wednesday.

As per the report, her body did not have any wounds anywhere else and she died by hanging from a roof.

The police have also retrieved data from Sweta’s mobile phone which was formatted earlier including the call record details and some pictures.

Meanwhile Soumyajit has still not appeared at the police station and has reportedly asked for some more time through his counsel.

Bhubaneswar DCP, Prateek Singh briefed the media on the case this morning. “Soumyajit had come to the police station the day Sweta hanged herself and he was quizzed too. As far as Sweta’s family is concerned, they had not registered any complaints that day, we registered an FIR after their complaints later.”

“Soumyajit was mentally disturbed the day Sweta had died. So we let the family take him home after assuring us cooperation,” Singh said.

“We have requested their family to provide us with whatever information they have on this case, so that we can go forward in the investigation. We are in touch with Soumyajit’s family and they have assured us every kind of help we need,” he added.

The police have registered an abetment to suicide case under section 306 against Soumyajit on the basis of the complaint of the deceased's family.

Meanwhile, CDR (Call Detail Record) report revealed Sweta had made 15 phone calls to Soumyajit at around 1:30AM, an hour before she allegedly ended her life in her apartment. However, Soumyajit had not picked her calls.

The police have conducted searches at a management institute in the city where Soumyajit studies. He was on the police radar after Sweta’s body was found hanging in an apartment in Bhubaneswar on Sunday.

Sweta, a resident of Bhadrak, who worked with a reputed IT company in Bhubaneswar, was believed to be in a relationship with Soumyajit. The family members of the deceased alleged that she took the extreme step after being blackmailed by her boyfriend.

The police have recovered a diary and a mobile phone from the deceased's room. Her boyfriend’s name, Soumyajit, was reportedly mentioned in the diary.

On the other hand, Soumyajit’s family in Sambalpur continues to remain unavailable for any comments on the allegations by Sweta’s father.

Notably, the father of the deceased had earlier alleged that Soumyajit’s mother had demanded Rs 30 lakh from Sweta’s family for marrying them off.