Ramakanta Biswas

The alleged brutality of Manabbad Sangathan (Humanitarian Organisation) continues to surface with two more families coming forward to narrate the prolonged ordeal they had to endure for not joining the outfit. 

The two families of Dandeisahi under Haldia panchayat of Khordha district had to flee their village in 2014 after being subjected to alleged inhuman torture by Manabbad Sangathan chief Manas Das. Since then, they have been living in their relatives’ houses.

Debraj Swain, one of the victims, said they had to pay a heavy price for not joining the Manabbad Sangathan. 

“We were living peacefully at Dandeisahi until Manas Das held a meeting at our village. When we skipped the meeting, he threatened us and warned that we would regret our decision,” Swain, who works in the horticulture department, alleged. 

“When I was away from home, members of the organisation carried out attacks on my family members. They looted all valuables from my house. When I lodged a complaint, the police assured me to look into the matter. However, no action has been taken against them so far,” he lamented.

Swain further alleged that the outfit members destroyed his house completely, and not letting him enter the village since July 22, 2014. 

“My elder brother is living in our relative’s house while my nephew is living at his in-laws' house. Similarly, my children are living in Bajpur and I am living in Khordha,” Swain added. 

Another victim alleged, “They looted all our belongings. My son is a meritorious student and pursuing engineering. But they even looted his book materials and educational certificates.”

“Once I had gone with Maguni Nayak, who was recently thrashed by the organisation members, and Satyajit Nayak, who was killed by the organisation, to resolve the issue. That night, the organisation members looted 10 quintals of iron rods and cement from my house,” he added.  

Narrating the ordeal, a woman member of the family alleged, “The organisation members snatched gold ornaments and other valuables from us. They even did not spare our clothes. When the local sarpanch tried to help us, they did not let him enter the village. We had to live without food for four days.”

Other Stories