• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Telegram
  • Koo
  • Youtube
  • ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ ପଢନ୍ତୁ
Odishatv Bureau

Agra: The suspected coronavirus-affected woman who fled from Bengaluru and was later traced in Agra, has tested positive for COVID-19, officials said on Monday. The 25-year-old woman's husband in Bengaluru is hospitalised with coronavirus. The woman was traced 2 days after she fled from a hospital without informing authorities.

So far, there have been seven positive cases in the Taj city and five of the patients have recovered from the novel virus while two, including this woman, are under treatment, the Health Department officials said.

Around 20 people related to these two patients have been quarantined for observation and in order to check the spread of the virus, they added.

According to the officials, this woman and her husband returned from their honeymoon in Europe earlier this month and landed in Mumbai. From there they went to Bengaluru, where her husband, who works for an IT company, tested positive for coronavirus and was hospitalised.

The woman then left for Delhi and later came to her parents' house here and allegedly did not cooperate with the health department officials on March 12 for a coronavirus test despite being "highly suspected".

Also Read: Suspected Coronavirus-Affected Woman Who Fled From Bengaluru Traced In Agra

"The woman has tested positive for the coronavirus on Sunday and has been hospitalised for treatment. Eight of her family members have also been quarantined.

There is one more man who has tested positive earlier and is undergoing treatment. Eleven of his family members have been quarantined. So far, there have been seven positive cases of COVID-19 in Agra, five of them have been treated and sent home, a Health Department official told PTI.

The woman's father, a government employee, was on Sunday booked under sections 269 (unlawfully or negligently doing any act which is, and which he knows is likely to spread the infection of any disease dangerous to life) and 270 (malignant act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) after he allegedly misled health and administration officials regarding his daughter's whereabouts.

This was perhaps the first case in the country in which an FIR has been registered against any person for concealing information or misleading authorities over coronavirus, a day after the Uttar Pradesh government invoked the Epidemic Act to prevent the spread of the virus that has rattled people globally.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Monday said a round-the-clock vigil is on with help of the control room set up to monitor coronavirus threat in the state.

"The surveillance team is maintaining round-the-clock vigil and creating awareness through helpline numbers in the state to effectively deal with the spread of the virus," the UP chief minister, who inspected the state control room set up at the office of Directorate General (Health) here said.

"Corona is in stage II in the state and a detailed review would be done on March 20 after which necessary decisions will be taken," he said, adding proper attention is being paid on the advisory issued by the Centre.

He said directives have been issued to set up a "state of the art" control room equipped with all modern facilities, so as to deal effectively with the epidemic and other diseases and control them in a better manner.

The human and technical resources will be increased in the control room as per the requirement, Adityanath said.

The chief minister was also apprised of the control room helpline and its working during his visit.

He said all necessary preparations have been made to deal with the corona virus threat in an effective manner.

All district hospitals and medical colleges have set up isolation wards to provide the best treatment to those affected by the virus.

Besides, the chief minister said people are being apprised of the virus with the help of different publicity material like posters, which have been put up at different places.

The state government has already announced the closure of all educational institutions till March 22 as a precautionary measure.

The chief minister also sought peoples' help in dealing with the virus and directed officials concerned to initiate strict action against those hoarding and black-marketing masks and sanitiser.

Also Read: COVID-19 Declared As National Disaster In India, Govt Announces Ex-Gratia Of 4 Lakhs For Coronavirus Death

(With Agency Inputs)

Other Stories

scrollToTop