New Delhi: The centre on Monday has denied and termed the claims of extension of 21-days coronavirus lockdown doing rounds on social media as baseless and debunked the viral reports.
"There are rumours and media reports, claiming that the Government will extend the #Lockdown21 when it expires. The Cabinet Secretary has denied these reports, and stated that they are baseless," the Press Information Bureau on Monday tweeted.
The clarification comes in after the social media went abuzz with reports that claimed that the 21 day lockdown will be extended to a 3-month-long lockdown by the government.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced nationwide three weeks lockdown starting from March 24th midnight. He said this is an essential step to fight coronavirus decisively.
"With folded hands, I request you to stay put wherever you are," said the Prime Minister. He added that he is mindful of the economic ramifications of it. However, this is a smaller concern.
Modi warned, if "we don't follow a complete lockdown for the coming 21 days, the nation will go back 21 years and many families will be devastated".
The total number of coronavirus positive cases in India has reached 1,071 on Monday, including the foreign nationals, with 942 active cases, the Union Health Ministry said.
The Health Ministry said in the 10.30 a.m. update that 29 deaths have been reported in India so far, with highest eight from Maharashtra, followed by Gujarat, having five reported deaths.
"A total of 100 patients have been cured and discharged," the Health Ministry said.
Among the 27 states and union territories having Coronavirus patients, Kerala has the highest tally of positive cases at 194, followed by Maharashtra at 193.
India has been under a 21-day lockdown due to Coronavirus.
(With Agency Inputs)