Coronavirus Outbreak: COVID-19 Cases Cross 700,000 Mark; Toll Over 33,500
New Delhi: The number of COVID-19 cases globally has crossed the 700,000 mark, while the death toll has crossed 33,500 mark by Monday midnight. The Johns Hopkins University’s Coronavirus Resource Centre reported, US comprises a seventh of the total cases while Italy and Spain account for over a half of the death toll with 10,779 and 6,606 tolls respectively.
Of the 704,095 total cases, the US led with 132,637 and was followed by Italy with 97, 689 cases, China with 82,122, Spain with 78,799, Germany with 60,659 and Iran with
As far the death toll was concerned, China’s Hubei was third with 3,182 deaths, followed by Iran with 2,640, France with 2,606, and the UK with 1,228. US had also reported over 2,000 deaths across the country, the maximum of them in New York City (678).
Iran announced 2,901 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday as the total number of confirmed cases soared to 38,309; Meanwhile, the total number of infections in Turkey approached 10,000. Also, the death toll from the disease reached 2,640 in Iran, while 12,391 patients have recovered.
Earlier in the day, Iranian Deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi said the number of infected people has taken a downward trend in 13 Iranian provinces, Xinhua news agency reported.
The coronavirus outbreak has infected 2,599 more people and killed 292 others in France, as the country was struggling to contain “a deadly severe epidemic with a rapid-spreading contagious virus,” General Director of Health Jerome Salomon said.
A total of 40,174 positive cases were confirmed, of which 2,606 died, while 19,354 others were hospitalized, up by 10 percent in the last 24 hours. However, 7,132 infected people have recovered since the virus has been spotted on January 24, Xinhua news agency reported on Sunday.
Some 4,632 patients required life support, up by 359 in one day, with 34 percent of them younger than 60 years, according to Salomon.
The total number of COVID-19 infections in South Africa has risen to 1,280, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said. In his latest update on the COVID-19 pandemic, he also confirmed the second death of a COVID-19 patient, a 74-year-old male.
The man tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday after travelling to the Kruger National Park in northeast South Africa with his family and came back with flu-like symptoms, the minister said on Sunday, Xinhua news agency reported. Those in contact with the deceased, including his family members and 14 health workers, are now in quarantine and being monitored.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Sunday said 7,195 new COVID-19 cases were reported across the state, bringing the total of New York cases to 59,513. New York is now the heart of the US coronavirus outbreak, home to just under half the total cases across the country. As of Sunday, 965 death were linked to the virus across the state, the BBC reported.
Nursing homes make up one quarter of these deaths, Cuomo said and added, 76,019 health workers have volunteered to help with the crisis as New York hospitals are pushed beyond capacity.
The death count will continue to rise, but the “doubling rate is slowing”, Cuomo said. “And that is good news.”
Meanwhile, 148,824 Covid-19 patients have recovered, with over half (75,582) of them from China, followed by 14,709 in Spain, 13,030 in Italy, 12,391 in Iran and 9,211 in Germany.
(With Agency Inputs)