Bhubaneswar: Just like the other club from Kolkata -East Bengal, Mohun Bagan also defeated an I-League club from the North East to qualify for the semifinals of the Super Cup Football Tournament at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar. Mohun Bagan got past Shillong Lajong FC quite comfortably by 3-1 goals in the second game of Round of eight in the Super Cup.

Sk Faiaz and Nikhil Kadam scored for the Kolkata-based club in the first half while Laurence Doe's defensive mistake in the form of an own goal ensured the third goal for Mohun Bagan.

Mohun Bagan started with a very aggressive mindset and Dipanda Dicka got a chance in the fifth minute but his kick went over the bar.

Mohun Bagan's early lead came in the 12th minute through Sk Faiaz. Faiaz cleverly entered the box after receiving the pass from Dicka and twisting and turning, he slotted the ball into the post.

10 minutes later, Nikhil Kadam doubled the lead for the Kolkata-based club. Long kick of Kadam got in off the underside of the crossbar and referee discussed with the linesman to signal a goal for Mohun Bagan. Shillong players were seen arguing with referee Santhosh Kumar after the goal was awarded to Mohun Bagan.

In the 26th minute, Kinshuk Debnath's foul inside the box helped Shillong Lajong get a penalty kick but their skipper Samuel Lalmuanpuia failed to convert it by kicking the ball straight into the hands of Mohun Bagan goalie Shilton Paul.

Two minutes after the missed opportunity, Lajong captain Samuel passed the ball to Abdoulaye Koffi inside the box who headed it past onrushing goalkeeper Shilton and the margin was reduced to one goal.

In the injury time, Shillong got an opportunity to equalise but Koffi failed to convert this one into a goal and the scoreline remained 2-1 in favour of Mohun Bagan at half-time.

Mohun Bagan came out all guns blazing in the second half and attacked the Lajong goalpost in numerous occasions. Cameron Watson sent a good cross to Akram Moghrabi but his kick was saved by Shillong goalkeeper Tempa Lachenpa.

Mohun Bagan found their third goal thanks to an own goal by Lajong defender Laurence Doe. Arijit Bagui sent a cross from the right flank into the box where Akram Moghrabi tried to head the ball. Laurence tried to block him but the ball went off his head into the goalpost.

Mohun Bagan didn't allow Lajong forwards to trouble the goalie during the remaining passage of play. Mohun Bagan got chances in the 64th and 75th minutes of the game but both went in-vain.

In the injury time of four minutes, Shillong forwards marched ahead to score a goal and salvage pride. Abdoulaye Koffi's kick on target was brilliantly stopped by Shilton Paul and Mohun Bagan comfortably entered the semifinals of the Super Cup.

Sk Faiaz who scored the opening goal for the Kolkata side was adjudged Player of the Match.

In the third quarter-final tomorrow, FC Goa will meet Jamshedpur FC at Kalinga, Stadium in Bhubaneswar.