Super Cup Football: FC Goa beats ATK to book QF berth

Bhubaneswar: In an all-ISL team pre-quarterfinal game of Super Cup Football Tournament at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar, FC Goa thrashed ATK by 3-1 goals to qualify for the quarter-finals.Ferran Corominas, Hugo Boumous and Brandon Fernandes scored one goal each for the Goan club while the solitary goal for the Kolkata side came from player-manager Robbie Keane in the second half.

Although ATK attacked first in the sixth minute of the match with a curling left-footed attempt by Conor Thomas which went over the right corner of the goalpost, FC Goa dominated in the entire first half of the game. Their combined effort upfront troubled the ATK defenders in first the 45 minutes.

In the 11th minute, FC Goa forwards attacked in numbers but the alert defenders of Kolkata restricted them from troubling the goalie. ATK’s defender Anwar Ali was in some trouble in the very next minute when he almost scored an own goal.

Goa’s Brandon Fernandes delivered a brilliant cross from the right flank for Spanish footballer Edu Pelaez inside the ATK’s box but Edu missed the header. Edu again got a chance in the 22nd minute but his kick went wide.

ATK’s player-manager Robbie Keane had a chance in the 27th minute when he got the ball from South African midfielder Sibong Mbatha but his shot hit the crossbar after a deflection from Juste Martin.

FC Goa continued to attack and got a couple of chances in 40th and 43rd minutes of the game but both went in-vain for them.

Finally in the added time of one minute, Spanish striker Ferran Corominas, thanks to poor defence by ATK, found only the goalkeeper Soram Anganba in front of him and scored the goal for the Goan unit.

ATK’s equaliser came in the fifth minute of the second half through skipper Robbie Keane. The Irish forward was standing unmarked and Anwar Ali’s header found him at the far post after which he slotted the ball to the left corner of the goalpost.

The ball revolved around the midfield for next 20 minutes with nothing much happening on the pitch. FC Goa came back strong in the 69th minute to regain the lead with Hugo Boumous beating ATK goalkeeper in a one-on-one battle. Narayan Das played the ball from the midfield to Ferran Corominas who breached the ATK defence and passed it to the French footballer to score an easy one.

Goa again started to dominate by regularly attacking and keeping possession in ATK’s half. In the 77th minute, Brandon Fernandes doubled the lead for FC Goa. A low cross by Narayan Das from the left was passed on to Brandon by Ferran Corominas inside the box taking the scoreline to 3-1 in favour of the Goans.

ATK looked desperate towards the fag end of the match and even got a couple of chances those went in-vain for the Sourav Ganguly co-owned ISL team. A threatening corner kick from Anwar Ali in the 85th minute was kicked away into the stands by Robin Singh.

FC Goa maintained 3-1 lead till the end of the game and made it to the quarter-finals.

FC Pune City and Shillong Lajong FC will cross swords in the sixth pre-quarterfinal game tomorrow at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.