/odishatv/media/media_files/2026/02/20/haldiapadar-overbridge-berhampur-2026-02-20-11-33-25.jpg)
Haldiapadar Overbridge, Berhampur Photograph: (File)
The Odishagovernment has decided to redesign the Haldiapadar overbridge in Berhampur’s Ganjam district in the interest of public safety, Transport Minister Bibhuti Jena has said, amid mounting concerns over repeated fatal accidents on the structure.
The overbridge has been under intense scrutiny following multiple road mishaps since its inauguration, prompting residents and political leaders to demand structural corrections and accountability.
Minister Acknowledges Design Flaw
Reiterating the government’s position, Minister Jena stated that the bridge had design flaws from the time of its construction and assured that it would now be properly redesigned to prevent further accidents.
His remarks came in the wake of sustained allegations regarding irregularities in the planning and execution of the overbridge project. The issue gained renewed attention after a road accident on January 31 claimed five lives, intensifying calls for an urgent review.
Residents Raise Concerns
Local residents have expressed dissatisfaction over what they describe as delays in inspection and corrective action.
“Nearly 26 people have died on this bridge. A team was supposed to visit and examine the construction on February 16, but as of February 20, no one has visited. I do not see seriousness from the government to expedite the process. We want the bridge remodelled so that it does not cause further accidents,” a resident said.
Another local resident alleged that the families of the deceased victims have not yet received ex-gratia compensation. “The families of the youths who died have not received compensation. I urge the government to expedite the payment and remodel the bridge to ensure everyone’s safety,” he said.
Political Debate Intensifies
The controversy surrounding the overbridge has also triggered political debate. Digapahandi MLA Sidhant Mohapatra earlier questioned how such a major design flaw could have gone unnoticed, stating that no similar issues had been observed in other bridges.
Biplab Patra, son of late BJD minister Surjya Narayan Patro, also publicly acknowledged that land beneath the Haldiapadar flyover was previously owned by his family, adding another dimension to the controversy.
Allegations have also surfaced that the alignment of the flyover may have been altered during construction. MLAs from both the BJP and Congress have sought clarification regarding the design and execution of the project.
Safety Measures Ahead
With public pressure mounting, the state government has assured that corrective steps will be taken in future planning and redesign to ensure commuter safety and prevent further loss of life.
Also Read: Haldiapadar flyover row: Former BJD leader Surjya Patro’s son admits family-owned land under bridge
Authorities are expected to conduct a detailed structural assessment before implementing modifications to the overbridge.
/odishatv/media/agency_attachments/2025/07/18/2025-07-18t114635091z-640x480-otv-eng-sukant-rout-1-2025-07-18-17-16-35.png)

/odishatv/media/media_files/2025/09/22/advertise-with-us-2025-09-22-12-54-26.jpeg)
