Nuapada: A woman and her 9-year-old daughter were killed after an 11 KV electricity wire reportedly fell on them in Makhapadar village under Sinapali police limits of Nuapada district.
The deceased identified as Tarulata Chandi and her 9-year-old daughter Dushila Chandi were reportedly taking bath when the overhead electricity cable snapped and fell on them, electrocuting both to death.
The mishap triggered tension as enraged locals alleged negligence on the part of Energy department. Not allowing the dead bodies to be moved from the spot, villagers demanded compensation to the family members.
"Though the district Red Cross has assured compensation of Rs 20,000 to the family of the deceased, the Energy department hasn't assured anything to them," alleged Subrat Thakur, a villager.
"We demand immediate and appropriate compensation for the aggrieved family, until then the bodies won't move from here," added Thakur.
Later Sinapali Police reached the spot and began a probe into the matter.