• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Telegram
  • Koo
  • Youtube
  • ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ ପଢନ୍ତୁ
Odishatv Bureau

Cuttack: Panic spread among patients and attendants after a short circuit in the casualty ward of SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack in the wee hours of today.

As per reports, the fire was caused due to short circuit after a lightning strike. While the Air Conditioning system was damaged, a leakage in the oxygen pipeline was also reported.

The Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Trauma Care and Central ICU were the affected areas of the four storey-casualty ward building.

After receiving information, officials of the Fire and Electricity departments reached the spot immediately and brought the situation under control.

Power supply has also been restored after repair by the Electricity department officials and barring the air conditioning unit, all other equipments are functioning properly, informed sources.

“At around 5 AM, a lightning struck and the air conditioner of the ICU started emanating smoke and it stopped functioning. Out of fear, people ran outside the hospital building. Some attendants even carried patients on their shoulders. In the meantime, fire personnel reached the spot and launched rescue operations,” said an attendant.

“We got information at 5 AM and immediately rushed a team to the spot. We found there was a leakage in the oxygen pipe, but no signs of fire were visible.  Only the air conditioner was damaged in the lightning strike. Now the situation is under control,” said the fire officer of the hospital.

“Supply of oxygen, which was disrupted due to a short circuit, has been restored. The situation is stable now,” said hospital sources.

The hospital manager said the Electricity department has informed that the AC will be made functional in a few hours.

Other Stories