Sambalpur: Amidst the alleged irregularities in mandis, Food Supplies and Consumer Welfare Minister Ranendra Pratap Swain on Sunday assured that all the paddy will be lifted from all mandis by March 31.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of Republic Day celebrations in Sambalpur, Swain informed that paddy procurement will not stop despite harassment of farmers by millers.
“Already 12.50 lakh farmers have registered this year against the registration of around 10 lakh farmers last year. Moreover, 3 % additional paddy has been procured than the actual procurement of previous year,” said Swain.
Swain further stated that Rs 5,000 crore has been disbursed among farmers against paddy procurement.
Speaking on token system, the minister said, “It is a unique attempt by the State government and his department is working and monitoring it round-the-clock.”
It is pertinent to mention here that several farmers have been staging demonstrations after failing to sell their paddy stock due to token system in Western Odisha.