Odishatv Bureau

Bhubaneswar: Following a terrorist attack on an Indian Air Force (IAF) base at Pathankot in Punjab in the wee hours on Saturday, authorities of the Biju Patnaik International Airport here have stepped up security measures in and around the airport.

Informing the media about this on Saturday, director of Biju Patnaik International Airport Sharad Kumar said; "Bhubaneswar airport is one of the sensitive airports in the eastern region. Considering the recent arrest of an Al Qaeda operative in Cuttack and a terrorist attack on Pathankot air base this morning, we are on high alert."

“The CISF personnel, presently in charge of overall security of the airport, are leaving no stone unturned with tight patrolling and strict vigil. They have escalated their alert level. We have updated our security address system and contacted the State Police and requested them to put in place adequate measures to ensure no such incident takes place in and around the airport area,” Kumar added.

He also said the people have been requested to immediately inform the airport authorities and the commissionerate police if they come across any suspicious articles, elements and their movements in and around the airport periphery.

“The alertness of responsible citizens can avert any such sabotage activities,” Kumar pointed out.

Talking to the media, Director General of Police (DGP) KB Singh said high alert has been sounded in all security related establishments in the state following the terrorist attack on Pathankot Air Force base.

Asked about the security provisions in other sensitive locations, Singh said there adequate security arrangements had been put in place in all major dams and reservoirs in the state.

It may be mentioned that a group of heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists, suspected to be memebsr of the dreaded Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) outfit, struck at an Air Force base at Pathankot in Punjab at around 3.30 am on Saturday in which three security personnel, including a Garud commando of the IAF, were killed. The four terrorists were also killed by the security forces after a fierce gun battle lasting five hours while search operation is on to neutralise the remaining ultras, defence sources said.