Odishatv Bureau

Nayagarh: Three class-III students including a girl were injured after a mobile phone battery exploded while they were playing with it at Ladukeshwar upper primary school under Sarankula police station in Nayagarh district today.

Two of the injured students have been admitted to Nayagarh district headquarters hospital while the girl has been treated at the local health centre.

A student had brought the battery inside his bag. The battery went off suddenly when he connected a bulb with the unused battery. The explosion created heavy noise in the class room, headmaster Biranchi Nayak said.

"We were unaware that a student kept a discarded mobile battery inside his bag. Three students were playing with it at the back side of the class room. It suddenly went off injuring the trio", Nayak added.

Two boys sustained injuries on hand and eyes and were admitted to Nayagarh district headquarters hospital.

Hand of my nephew (elder brother's son) sustained burn injuries while my son can't open his eye after the explosion. Another girl, who sustained minor injuries, is getting treated at Godipada health centre", Ajay Pradhan, father of an injured kid said at the district headquarters hospital.

Pradhan, however, has not held any staff responsible for the incident.