• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Telegram
  • Koo
  • Youtube
  • ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ ପଢନ୍ତୁ
Rajendra Prasad Mohapatra

Balasore: More than 50 people were taken ill after consuming prasad at Gilajodi village under Basta block in the district on Friday.

All of them have been admitted to the nearby Paunsakuli and Basta hospitals. Most of them are reportedly children who are suffering from diarrhoea.

According to reports, around 600 persons of the village took prasad in a religious function at Goddess Bhagabati temple on Friday afternoon. After consuming it, as many as six children fell ill in the evening and they were immediately taken to the nearby hospital by 108 ambulance.

Later, many others also complained uneasiness and vomiting and then shifted to the hospitals.

"We suspect that the number of sick persons may increase further. All the people who had consumed the prasad and their family members are in a state of panic," said a resident of the village.

According to doctors, the illness might have been caused by food poisoning.

"Things are in control. All the patients are stable now. The health conditions of all the children are also improving," said doctor Ashis Kumar Biswal.

Earlier last month, more than 50 people of Nimpur village in Kendrapada district had taken ill after consuming food served at a marriage feast.

The affected persons including women and children were members of the wedding party. They had gone to the bride’s house at Teradgarh under Pattamundai block where the marriage was solemnised.

After having food at the bride’s home, the participants started complaining of uneasiness and vomiting. They were later admitted to Pattamundai sub-divisional hospital.

(Edited by Pradeep Singh)

Other Stories

scrollToTop