Sharmili Mallick

Kendrapara/Baripada: With an alarming increase in the number of migrant labourers leaving the State in search of jobs, horrible consequences like labour trafficking, harassment, cheating, murder, missing and exploitation of these Odia workers outside also seem to have no end whatsoever.

In one such case of exploitation, one Khetrabasi Sahoo of Baburampatna village under Sadar police limits in Kendrapara district, had reportedly gone to Malaysia through a Kolkata-based company in the month of September.

However, he has been missing since September 29 and his parents have alleged that they received a call from an unknown person who informed that Khetrabasi has been arrested by the police and he is in danger.

Khetrabasi’s family members later informed the district adminstration, Chief Minister, Prime Minister and Ministry of External Affairs about the matter and urged them to intervene.

The documents availaible with Khetrabasi’s parents mention that he has a license to stay in Malaysia till November 29.

“He was the only bread earner of our family. We do not have enough money to bring him back. A middleman took a hefty amount from us and sent my son to the foreign country. I want my son to return home safely,” said Khetrabasi’s mother, Minati Sahoo.

Meanwhile, the district labour officer informed that steps are being taken for repatriation of Khetrabasi.

Kendrapara district labour officer, Kalpana Mishra said, “After receiving a complaint from his parents, we have sent a letter to Labour Commissioner through the district Collector for his repatriation.”

In another similar case, body of one Debasish Sahoo of Baghara Road area in Baripada town of Mayurbhanj district who died in Tamil Nadu four days back is yet to reach his village.

Reportedly, Debasish had gone to Tamil Nadu with the help of a broker around one and half years ago.

Due to the financial instability of his family, his parents are not able to visit Tamil Nadu to bring back his body, sources said.

While the actual reason behind Debasish’ death is yet to be ascertained, his parents, alleging that its not a natural death, requested the district administration to bring back his body and initiate an investigation.

“He had informed us about the regular fights he had had with a few people and wanted to come back. He had also told us that he would return in January. I want an investigation to know the exact reason behind his death and request the concerned administration to bring his body back,” said Debasish’ father.