Bhubaneswar: Following the sealing of her office by the authorities of Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) on the grounds of congregation, mask-wearing violation and lack of social distancing, MP Aparajita Sarangi has written to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik alleging selective nature of BMC's action. She has also attached several photos wherein BJD leaders were seen violating Covid norms and social distancing guidelines on various occasions.
"I appreciate the alacrity with which BMC has taken this action; however, it is the selective nature of BMC's action which raises suspicion regarding the intent behind such enforcement. I have come across innumerable instances of violation of Covid-19 regulations at BJD party headquarters as well as by the Ministers, MLAs and party workers. While no action has been initiated against such violations, the sealing of my office, that too without detection of a single Covid positive case in my office or among my supporters who were present in the office, does deserve answers from your government," she stated in her letter to the CM.
She has attached specific evidence of violations with an expectation that 'the CM would take equally strong action as has been done by targeting her'.
"The action of sealing the office of a sitting MP smacks of partiality and vindictiveness. It is intended to prevent me from discharging my responsibilities as a public representative and I am now forced to hold my office on the roads of Bhubaneswar for the next 15 days," she mentioned.
In her recent letter, the Bhubaneswar MP has noted down a list of specific instances of violation at BJD headquarters and BJD leaders and sought an action taken report for such violations.
- Capt Divyashankar Mishra, who has written a long letter against me, has violated Covid norms umpteen times. The instances of violation are now circulating on social media. The photographs of such flagrant violation are enclosed.
- There have been serious violations of Covid norms during the funeral of Pradeep Maharathy. While a case has been filed against MLA Samantray, the Minister has been allowed to go scot-free. He had tested positive only a few days before and how he was allowed to participate in the funeral without specifically being tested negative? What action has been taken for such an unusual congregation at Swargadwar? I have been told that such flagrant violation of Covid norms took place during the presence of the Puri Collector and SP. How come enforcement was not insisted upon just because ruling party supporters were present? Photographs are enclosed and action may be taken.
- Everyone knows the flagrant violation of Covid norms during the birthday celebration of MLA Pranab Prakash Dash. Will your government tell what kind of enforcement has been done in this case?
- The MLAs of Bhubaneswar Central and North have violated Covid regulation a number of times and photographic evidence was submitted to BMC. Will BMC, who has been so prompt in sealing my office, indicate what action has been taken in these cases?
- In the BJD HQ, a large congregation had taken place only a few days back. There is photographic evidence of violation of norms relating to mask-wearing and social distancing. Has your government taken steps to seal the BJD HQ so promptly and in a similar manner as was done in the case of the office of a sitting MP?
- There is a Youtube video showing how the Covid norms were flagrantly violated in a recent meeting taken by BJD's Minister Pratap Jena and ex-MLA Debasish Samantray at Tirtol. Will the government tell what action has been taken on this Issue?
- I am enclosing the photographs of the birthday celebration of Sarda Nayak, MLA, Rourkela and of MLA Chandbali and his supporters. Masks have not been worn and no social distancing norms have been followed. What action has been taken by your Government on these violations?