• otv
Sharmili Mallick

Keonjhar: A marriage reception party turned fatal for two persons, including a minor boy after they died of asphyxiation, while they were sleeping in a room with the generator on at Kathabari village under Sadar police limits of Keonjhar district late on Thursday night.

The two deceased have been identified as Badal Nayak (15) and Baidhar Nayak (30). Two other minors-- Sambhunath Nayak (15) and Akashi Nayak (16) who were also asleep in the room have been admitted to SCB Medical College and Hospital (SCBMCH) and Keonjhar District Headquarters Hospital (DHH) respectively. Their health condition is stated to be critical, said reports.

All the four persons reportedly had dinner at the marriage party of their relative in the village yesterday night and went to sleep in the room. However, due to power outage, Baidhar started the generator and all of them went to bed after closing the door.

As there was no proper ventilation due to lack of windows in the room, smoke emitted from the generator filled the room.

"They went to sleep in the room after having dinner. At around 3.30 AM, I and my son went to the room to check if they needed anything and found the birds in the cage dead. I called them to get up but they did not respond. I screamed for help and brought them out of the room," said Panu Nayak, a relative of the four youths.

All the four were rushed to the DHH where Badal and Baidhar were declared dead by the doctors, added reports.

"Baidhar was helping our relatives in the marriage and slept there after having dinner. I have two sons and he was the earning member of our family. He has a small kid, I have no idea how to survive hereafter," said Baidhar's father, Ganeswar Nayak.

(Edited by Ramakant Biswas)

Other Stories