Keonjhar: More than 40 patients undergoing treatment at the Surgery ward of Keonjhar district headquarters hospital (DHH) had a narrow escape after a fire broke out in the ward this morning.

As per reports, relatives of the patients spotted smoke emanating from the store room of the Surgery department and raised an alarm. Along with the staff present at the hospital, the attendants managed to douse the flames with the help of fire extinguishers.

The hospital authorities said that short circuit could be the reason behind the fire mishap. "The electric wires hanging from the roof in the hospital need to be fixed to avoid such instances again," said an official.

Several other incidents of fire mishap were also reported from different parts of the State in which property worth lakhs of rupees were gutted.

In Rayagada district, 21 rooms of seven families were gutted in Chintalguda village under Gunupur block after a fire broke out late last night. After receiving information, fire personnel reached the spot and brought the fire under control. However, it is yet to be ascertained under what circumstances the fire broke out in the village.

Meanwhile in Mayurbhanj district, 16 rooms of the people displaced by Similipal Sanctuary, who were residing in Sialanai village were damaged in a fire mishap. Local administration officials including Tehsildar and BDO reached the spot and reviewed the situation.

In another case, eight rooms were reduced to ashes in a fire mishap at Majhi Sahi under Athagarh block.

However, no casualty has been reported in any of the incidents.