Cuttack: A fire broke out at the regional office of Odisha Gramya Bank located at Mahanadi Vihar under Chauliaganj police limits in Cuttack in the wee hours of Friday.
Though the extent of the damage was yet to be estimated, properties, including computers, furniture, electrical fitting and important documents worth lakhs of rupees were gutted.
Some passersby spotted smoke emanating from the building in which the bank was located and alerted the fire services. Following the information, two fire tenders team comprising of 15 personnel and a police team rushed to the spot and managed to douse the flames.
By the time the fire was brought under control, furniture and document kept in the two rooms of the bank were completely damaged in the mishap.
Though the exact reason behind the fire is unknown, short circuit is believed to be the reason behind the mishap. The exact reason behind the sources of the flames will be known after investigation, said a fire department official.
(Edited By Rashmi Ranjan Mohanty)