Bhubaneswar: Following the declaration of Rs 1000 crore additional assistance to the cyclone Fani affected Odisha by the Centre on Monday, the State has now got helping hands from spiritual leaders, politicians, celebrities to cricketers.
The 'extremely severe cyclone' Fani, which made landfall in Puri district of Odisha on May 3, caused unprecedented havoc in the State claiming several lives.
Here is the list of people who have come forward to lend a helping hand to rebuild Odisha:
1. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has announced to donate his one year's salary to the chief minister's relief fund towards the cause.
2. Spiritual leader Dalai Lama has donated Rs 1 crore from the Dalai Lama Trust with a letter to Odisha CM Naveen which read: "As a mark of solidarity, I am donating Rs 1000000 from the Dalai Lama trust to the efforts to provide relief and rebuilt."
3. Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has also donated his one month's salary towards the cause.
4. As per official sources, the government of Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh have donated Rs 10 crores each while the Chhattishgarh government has donated Rs 11 crore while the Uttarakhand government donated Rs 5 crore towards the cause.
5. Actor Akshay Kumar has reportedly donated Rs 1 crore to the Chief Minister's Relief Fund to help the cyclone affected people. However, there is no official confirmation about it.
On the other hand, Bollywood celebrities like Abhishek Bachchan, Rajkumar Rao, Tiger Shroff, Disha Patani, Varun Dhawan, Boman Irani, Terence Lewis, Tamannaah Bhatia and Kapil Sharma urged their fans to donate for the cyclone-hit Odisha.
Not staying behind, Indian cricketers Virat Kohli and Virendra Sehwag also have wished for everyone's safety in the Odisha.
On his visit to Odisha after the devastating cyclone, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, announced an additional Rs 1000 crore. Earlier, the Centre had declared Rs 340 crore for the State as advance cyclone assistance.