Bhubaneswar: In order to streamline the Covid-19 vaccination drive, the Odisha government on Saturday reconstituted the Adverse Events Following Immunization (AEFI) Committee at the State as well as district level.
The 21-member State-level AEFI committee will be headed by the director of family welfare while the chief district medical and public health officer will head the 14-member district-level committee.
“Preparations are underway for conducting COVID-19 vaccinations in states and districts, starting with certain priority groups. In connection with this, steps need to be takers to strengthen Adverse Events Following Immunization (AEFI) Surveillance following COVID-19 vaccinations to maintain confidence in safety of vaccines,” read a notification of the State Health and Family Welfare department.
Here is the list of members of State-level AEFI committee
- Director, Family Welfare: Chairman
- State Immunization Officer. Member Secretary
- Jt. Director (Immunization): Member
- Jt. Director (IDSP): Member
- Drug Controller, Odisha: Member
- HoD, Paediatrics, Capital Hospital: Member
- HoD, Pathology, Capital Hospital: Member
- HoD, Microbiology, Capital Hospital: Member
- HoD, Medicine, Capital Hospital: Member
- HoD, Pulmonary Medicine. Capital Hospital: Member
- HoD, SPM Department, SCB MCH, Cuttack: Member
- HoD, Neurology Department, SCB MCH, Cuttack: Member
- HoD, FMT Department. SCB MCH, Cuttack: Member
- HoD, Microbiology Deptt, SCB MCH, Cuttack: Member
- HoD, Cardiology Dept, SCB MCH, Cuttack: Member
- HoD, Pulmonary Medicine Deptt, SCB MCH, Cuttack: Member
- HoD, Paediatric Deptt, SCB MCH, Cuttack: Member
- State Cold Chain Officer: Member
- Secretary, IAP, Bhubaneswar. Member
- Heafth Specialist, UNICEF, Odisha: Member
- SRTL, WHO, Bhubaneswar. Member
The role & responsibilities of the committee are:
- Desk review of Case Reporting Formats (CRF), Preliminary Case Investigation Formats (PCIF) and Final Case Investigation Formats (FCIF) of each AEFI cases reported by the district
- Field visit & inspection of vaccination site, cold chain stores etc as per need
- Interviewing AEFI case /Relatives, treating Doctor /Staff, Vaccinator, member of District AEFI Committee if required to help in Causality assessment
- Analysis of similar or cluster of cases in the State
- To do causality assessment of reported AEFI cases as per guideline
- Ensure State AEFI Committee meeting every quarter/ once in every month during COVID 19 vaccination or as & when required.
- Periodic review of data base of AEFI cases
- Support the Media Spokesperson for communication
- Ensure minutes of meeting are being shared with Govt. of India on time
List of members of district-level AEFI committee
- Chief District Medical & Public Health Officer: Chairman
- Addl. District Public Health Officer (FW): Member Secretary
- Sr. Paediatric Specialist, DHH Member
- Sr. Pathology Specialist, DHH Member
- Sr. Microbiologist Specialist, OHH Member
- Sr. Medicine Specialist, DHH Member
- Sr. Pulmonary Medicine Specialist, DHH Member
- Neurologist (OHM or Nearby Medical College) Member
- Cardiologist (OHH or Nearby Medical College) Member
- Epidemiologist of concerned district Member
- Drug Inspector of concerned district Member
- Member of Urban Local Bodies Member
- Medical Officer WC where AEA occurred Member
- Concerned Surveillance Medical Officer, WHO Member
The role & responsibilities of the committee are: -
- Investigate each AEFI cases within the timeframe by the district authority and document the relevant information in prescribed format.
- The classification of AEFI cases should be discussed by the Committee before submission to State & national level and uploading in safevac portal.
- Verify all relevant documents of each AEFI case to improve the quality of AEFI surveillance.
- Ensure to conduct Post Modem / Verbal autopsy in case of death.
- The Hospital records, laboratory investigation, PM report (in case of death), Viscera analysis report (In case of death) with PCIF/ FCIF
- Visit field for AEFI investigation in case of need.
- Ensure all minor AEFI cases are documented in block level AEFI register.
- Conduct District AEFI Committee meeting every month or in case need and submit proceedings of meeting to State.
(Edited By Suryakant Jena)