Covid-19 Odisha Lockdown: Owners be allowed to walk pets outside, Animal Welfare Board requests all States
Image Credit- Quora
Bhubaneswar: In a big relief to pet owners, Animal Welfare Board Of India (AWBI) has urged states to allow owners to take their pets outside for daily walks amid the Covid-19 lockdown.
In a letter to Chief Secretaries of all the States and Union Territories, AWBI said that ‘stopping pets and other animals for nature’s call and exercise is a part of offense as accumulation of body excretion in the body creates physiological changes and toxicity in the animal body’ leading to a change in their normal behaviour and also death.
“Keeping these animals in the home without exercise also creates metabolic disturbances in the animal body like human being. Hence, the animal owners need to take their animal out from their home and no one can stop these animals,” stated AWBI.
The advisory body also urged the Chief Secretaries to ‘direct local administration to create at least three time slots of 20 minutes each in all the zones during which pet owners can take their animals out to urinate or defecate and for walk/ exercise’ provided they adhere to the guideline issued by the board.
Guidelines Issued By Animal Welfare Board Of India For Pet Owners & Caregivers
- Pet owners should buy pet food as per requirement and not stockpile to avoid any unnecessary shortage of pet food and to avoid difficulties for other pet owners.
- Pet food supplier and distributors should maintain regular supply of pet food through shop or online portals after maintaining Covid-19 guidelines.
- Pet owners are to identify nearest person or contact of dog shelter or day-care who can take care for their pet in case of pet owner or their family member infected with Covid-19.
- Limit the pet walks or exercise and take pets out for natures call during time slot specified by the local authorities or police. They pet owners should strictly maintain social distancing norms and any other precautions as specified by the government at the time of taking pets for walk and nature’s call.
- Pet owners are strictly advised to avoid any unnecessary contact of their pets with other humans and animals. If case, a pet comes into contact with any person suspicious of Covid-19, it should be first isolated and then proper precaution to be taken like proper bath with soap / shampoo and also take advice of their veterinarian.
- Pet owners are advised to get their pets vaccinated and keep vaccination record readily available.
(Edited By- Pradeep Singh)