• otv
Odishatv Bureau

Bhubaneswar: The agitating teachers under the aegis of Odisha Sikshya Sahayak Association decided to put their agitation on hold for one month after a discussion with School and Mass Education Minister Badri Narayan Patro on Thursday.

The development came after the State government accepted four out of the seven demands of the association.
The Sikshya Sahayak teachers who have completed six years of service till January 2018 will now be regularised. The decision will benefit over 24,000 Sikshya Sahayaks in State, official sources said.

Odisha government has also assured to hike salary by 25 percent as per recommendations of the 7th Pay Commission.

State government will provide 40 percent and it is expected that the Central government will provide the remaining 60 percent on the enhanced salary, while a letter in his regard has been written to the Centre.

“We were continuing the agitation over our 7-point charter of demands since the last four days. The Minister called us today morning and informed that government has accepted four of our demands. It includes our salary hike, job regularisation, ex-gratia on untimely death and change in nomenclature. The notification regarding acceptance of demands have been issued and we have been assured to get 25% hike in salary this month,” said President of Odisha Sikshya Sahayak Association, Malaya Kumar Jena.

“The nomenclature of the teachers has been changed from Sikshya Sahayaks to Junior teachers. They will be appointed as regular teachers after completion of six years service. Ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh will be provided to kin of teachers on their untimely death. Their jobs will also be regularised after six years of service subject to availability of vacancy,” said School and Mass Education Minister Badri Narayan Patro.

Patro further informed that the government has also accepted to hike their salary by 25 percent as per recommendations of the 7th Pay Commission. As the teachers are appointed under centrally-sponsored scheme, 40 percent of the salary will be borne by State government and rest by Centre.

“We have apprised the Central government about it and after its approval the teachers will be paid the revised salary,” Patro added.

Other Stories