Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Sikshya Sahayak Association (OSSA) put their scheduled September 9 agitation on hold after an assurance from School and Mass Education Minister Badri Narayan Patra in the State Secretariat on Wednesday.
The minister has assured that the government will take final decision on various demands of the association within two months, said a member of the OSSA.
Meanwhile, the association has warned to intensify its agitation if the government fails to take proper action within two months.
"The second meeting was positive; the government asked for two months time and requested us not to go for a strike. Therefore, we have put our agitation on hold for two months. However, if the government does not fulfill our 7-point charter of demands, we will intensify our agitation after two months," said President of OSSA Malaya Kumar Jena.
The OSSA was protesting government’s decision to recruit teachers on ad hoc basis and delay in appointment of more than 14,000 teachers on regular basis.
Alleging gross negligence in appointment of as many as 14,087 Sikshya Sahayak posts, OSSA had demanded that the government should come out with the draft list of recruitment in lieu of the notification published on December 26 last year and begin the recruitment process.
The association had earlier alleged that even after eight months of publication of the notification, the government is yet to take any action.