Bolangir: Tension prevailed in Chatiapali of Bolangir district as a person was reportedly electrocuted after he came in contact with a live wire while pruning a tree branch here on Monday.
The deceased, identified as Niranjan Bag from Chatiapali area had climbed atop a tree to chop it when he came in contact with a live wire. Though rescued with severe injuries, Bag died on his way to Bolangir District Headquarters Hospital.
However, Niranjan's wife Munu Bag alleged that her husband was forced to climb atop the tree and cut it despite reluctance to do so. "He was forced to climb the tree to cut it down. Now how do I sustain with a son? Neither do we have any land or property," questioned an unconsolable Manu.
However, Bag’s house owner Sanat Thanapati said, "He had already cut the tree and just as he was about to come down, we heard his voice. By then he had already been electrocuted."
Following the incident, vehicular movement in the area was disrupted as irate villagers blocked the road demanding compensation for the kin of the deceased.
On getting information, police reached the spot and initiated an investigation into the matter.