• otv
Odishatv Bureau

Deogarh: Though the State government has declared Deogarh the first ‘open defecation-free’ district, the ground reality tells a different story. Owing to the lack of piped water supply for villages in the district, people have not been able to use latrines built under the Swachh Bharat Mission.

Like the villagers of Sanadangaghat in the district who have failed to put the latrines to use due to water scarcity.

Babita Munda, a resident of Sanadangaghat, said, “Some villagers are using latrines as store rooms whereas some others have just abandoned it.

Prakash Kumar Acharya, another resident stated, “Latrine is built in every household in the village. However, no one is using it.”

Under the Swachh Bharat Mission, latrines have been built for 160 families, but none has been connected with piped water supply.

Of the six tubewells in the village four are dysfunctional. Hence, residents of Sanadangaghat depend upon the Gohira nullah located one km away from the village for daily chores.

Refuting any problem, Deogarh collector Purna Chandra Pathy claimed that more than 80% people of the district are using toilets. “Issues of the rest 20% will be resolved in a short period,” he added.

He further informed the Deogarh administration has sent a proposal on water planning to the State government for approval.

https://youtu.be/EhZ2ZaFyK8s

Other Stories