• otv
Odishatv Bureau

Bhawanipatna: In a tragic incident, two youths died and two others were in a critical condition because of asphyxiation after inhaling diesel-powered generator set fumes while sleeping in a closed room at Gokalama village under Thuamul Rampur police limits late last night.

Bodies of the deceased, identified as Ranjan Relly, a resident of Saisuruni, and Dhukulu Naik of Postiguda, were brought out of the closed room by the villagers after breaking the door this morning along with the two critically-ill youths, Pradeep Majhi and Sisira Majhi.

Sources said Ranjan and Dhukulu had slept in the room accompanied by Pradeep and Sisira while shutting the windows and door after a marriage feast at the village got over. Unfortunately the four youths had slept in the room where the generator set was kept in a running mode for lighting purposes at the marriage function.

Also read: 3 die of asphyxiation in Sundargarh

As Gokalama is one of the remote areas in Kalahandi district with no electricity facilities available, the villagers had hired the diesel-powered generator for the marriage ceremony.

According to latest reports, Pradeep and Sisira were being shifted to the Burla hospital for better treatment.

Sources said the Gunupur police have reached the spot and started an investigation.

Other Stories