Bhubaneswar: A wind of change will sweep Odisha in the next 48-hours and the weather in the State will take a new turn. The mercury in some districts in western and central Odisha will soar up again to touch over 40 degree Celsius.
Bhubaneswar: A wind of change will sweep Odisha in the next 48-hours and the weather in the State will take a new turn. The mercury in some districts in western…
As per the IMD long-term forecast, the wind flow pattern to Odisha will undergo a change. Winds from the western region will flow to the State from April 12-13. As per the model forecast, the dry air from the western borders of India is predicted to remain strong and their incursion to coastal areas will commence from April 16.
WILL HEATWAVE RESUME?
As per the IMD long-range model, on April 12 and 13, the districts of Sundargarh, Jharsuguda, Bargarh, Deogarh, Sonepur and Angul may see the mercury soaring past 40 deg C. But coastal and southern Odisha will record maximum day temperature in the range of 38 deg C.
However, the heatwave like conditions in the western districts will make an exit from April 14. The districts will witness a maximum daytime temperature of around 38-39 deg C till April 21.
On the other hand, the Multi-Model Ensemble (MME) forecast by the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) says that heatwave to sweep the coastal and southern region in the State from April 21.
HEATWAVE ALERT FOR BHUBANESWAR
The IITM MME forecast predicts an over 50 per cent probability of Bhubaneswar witnessing a heatwave on April 22 and 24. It assigns around a 30 per cent probability of the City witnessing a heatwave on April 30.
LIGHTNING ALERT FOR ODISHA
- While IMD has issued warning for a thunderstorm with lightning and gusty surface wind speed reaching 30- 40 kmph at one or two places over the districts of Koraput, Nabarangpur, Kalahandi, Kandhamal, Gajapati, Ganjam, Boudh, Sonepur, Bolangir, Cuttack, Dhenkanal, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj, the ECMWF predicts lightning and rain in Ganjam and Gajapati at around 10 in the night.
- As per ECMWF, Bhubaneswar may see lightning and rainfall at around 2 pm on Monday (April 12). Other places to witness thunderstorm on the day are Koraput, Rayagada, Gajapati, Ganjam, Nayagarh, Cuttack, Boudh, Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar.
- South-coastal Odisha may record and lightning and rainfall on April 13, predicts the ECMWF.
- No lightning and rainfall predicted on April 14. Southern Odisha may record lightning and rainfall on April 15, says the ECMWF forecast.
- The ECMWF forecast predicts that south coastal Odisha and Bhubaneswar may see lightning and rainfall in the evening of the coming weekend (April 17).