Bhubaneswar: Though the Very Severe Cyclonic Storm Yaas has weakened and turned into a Severe Cyclonic Storm, several districts of Odisha are very likely to experience heavy to very heavy rainfall under its influence.
As per the special weather bulletin issued by the India Meteorological Department (IMD), “The Very Severe Cyclonic Storm ‘Yaas’ over north coastal Odisha moved north-northwestwards with a speed of about 10 kmph during past 6 hours. It has weakened into a Severe Cyclonic Storm and lay centered about 25 km west northwest of Balasore and 35 km south-southwest of Baripada.”
The system is very likely to move northwestwards and weaken into a cyclonic storm during next 3 hours, predicted the IMD.
Day-1: Valid up to 0830 Hrs IST of May 27
Red Warning: Heavy to very heavy rainfall likely at a few places over Balasore, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Kendrapara, Jagatsinghpur, Cuttack, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar and Dhenkanal with isolated extremely heavy fall very likely to occur over the districts of Jajpur, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar and Dhenkanal.
Yellow Warning: Heavy to very heavy rainfall is very likely to occur at isolated places over the districts of Angul, Deogarh, Sundergarh and Sambalpur
Day-2: Valid from 0830 Hrs IST of May 27 to 0830 Hrs IST of May 28
Yellow Warning: Heavy rainfall is very likely to occur at isolated places over the districts of Sundergarh, and Keonjhar.
The fishermen have been advised to not venture into the sea along and off Odisha coast and North Bay of Bengal till May 27, 2021.
In view of the red warning, the Odisha Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) has issued advisory to all the concerned District Collectors.
• Ensure free kitchen for evacuated people
• Ensure cleaning of road, if disrupted due to falling of trees or other structures
• Constant vigil of low lying areas, dewatering wherever required including urban areas may be taken up
• Provide polythene sheet to the families whose houses have been damaged
• Ensure functioning of control room round the clock
• Rainfall may be reported immediately to this office
• Situation report may be furnished
• Advice for fishermen to be strictly implemented