Rains are all set to return with a bang to Odisha in the next 48 hours, after a prolonged dry spell since the beginning of the month. The Bay of Bengal is going to host another low pressure area over its west-central region in the next 42-hours.
In the subsequent 6-hours, the system will move north and lie close to the Odisha coast. As a consequence, the system will induce heavy rainfall in the interior south and coastal region of the State from the morning of Tuesday.
The prediction by leading meteorology institutes like IMD, US-GFS and ECMWF shows the State receiving widespread intermittent rainfall till the evening hours of August 18.
Rainfall Forecast Till August 16
- August 15, 5-6 am: light rainfall in Balangir, Kalahandi, Nuapada, Berhampur and Puri and at few places in districts of Cuttack and Khordha.
- Aug 15, 8-9 am: Light to moderate rainfall in the districts of Malkangiri, Koraput, Nuapada, Kalahandi, Bolangir, Sambalpur, Deogarh, Sonepur, Sundargarh, Keonjhar and at some places (adjacent to Jharkhand) in Mayurbhanj.
- Severe thunderstorm predicted at few places in the districts of Sambalpur, Malkangiri, Bargarh between 10-11 am tomorrow.
- Light rainfall is likely in Bhubaneswar tomorrow at around noon hours (11 am-12 pm).
- Severe thunderstorm predicts in at places like Aska in Ganjam district by around 1 pm on Aug 15.
- Bhubaneswar may see a light thundershower tomorrow at around 1-2 pm.
- Light thundershower forecast for Cuttack in the evening hours of 4-5 pm.
- Severe thunderstorm forecast for few places in Rayagada district close to Gajapati.
- Light thundershower in evening hours tomorrow for 5 districts - Cuttack-Khordha-Nayagarh, Ganjam, Kalahandi, Kandhamal, Boudh etc.
- Severe lightning is predicted at around 7-8 pm in and around Narasinghpur in Cuttack district.
- Moderate to heavy rainfall at places in Koraput, Balangir - Sonepur districts.
- August 16: Light rain is predicted in the morning hours for the districts of Ganjam, Khordha, including Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Puri, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapada, Bhadrak and Balasore. Also, a rainfall forecast is given for the districts of Malkangiri to Sambalpur.
- Severe thundershower alert for Puri during the hours of 11 am - 12 pm on Monday.