Even as Odisha has recorded the second-highest lightning activities in the country till June end of this year, coming days in August will add more to the State's lightning woes. As the monsoon will go weak in Odisha till August 15, the weather model forecasts show regular lightning activities during the period between 11 am to 11 pm.
The ECMWF big alert for the State is as many as 15 districts of Kalahandi, Nuapada, Bolangir, Sonepur, Sambalpur, Bargarh, Sundargarh, Deogarh, Angul, Cuttack, Nayagarh, Boudh, Kandhamal, Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar are predicted to witness moderate to severe lightning in the morning hours on August 12.
The forecast shows heavy downpours at many places in Keonjhar and Mayurbhanj. Few places in the district may record severe lightning. Moreover, there is also a forecast of severe lightning at one or two places in the Ganjam, Cuttack and Kendrapada districts.
Odisha Again In Top Lightning League
According to the data with IMD, Odisha had recorded a total of 2.76 lakh cloud-to-ground lightning flashes in the first half of 2021. West Bengal topped the country with over 3 lakh recorded flashes.
As per the data, Odisha and its neighbourhood have emerged as the lightning hub this year. While WB topped the country, Odisha, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand have been ranked at second, third and fourth, respectively.
A year-on-year comparison shows that Odisha had recorded the lowest ever cloud-to-ground lightning flashes, totalling to mere 60,403, in 2020. With over 5.6 lakh cloud-to-ground lightning flashes, the State had topped the country in the year 2019. In the first half of the current year, the State had already recorded nearly half of the total lightning counts recorded in 2019.
Lightning Forecast Till Aug 15
- Aug 7, around 7-8 pm: Lightning likely at places in Deogarh-Angul and Sambalpur - Jharsuguda districts.
- Aug 8, Morning Hours: At Places in Deogarh-Sundargarh and Sambalpur-Jharsuguda districts. Severe lightning forecast at few places in Jagatsinghpur, Puri and Khordha districts at around 11 am -1 pm.
- Aug 9 11 am - 12 pm: Forecast of severe lightning at few places in districts of Bhadrak and Cuttack.
- Aug 11, 5 - 6 pm: Lightning likely at places in districts of Puri, Sambalpur, Ganjam and places like Rourkela.
- Aug 13,11am - 12 pm: Lightning may strike places like Puri and Berhampur.
- Aug 15, 10 am -12 pm: Lightning likely in Puri and at places in Kendrapada.
On the 75th Independence Day, most places in districts of Puri, Khordha, Ganjam (Berhampur) and Kalahandi may record light rain.