Ashish Kumar Manthan

In a horrific incident, a Royal Enfield motorcycle parked at Chief Postmaster General’s (CPMG) office in, Odisha Circle, Bhubaneswar, caught fire sparking panic in the area.

However, the presence of mind by a security guard helped avert a major tragedy. The motorcycle bearing registration number OD -33-C-6459 belonged to Sanatan Singh Deo.

As per reports, Sanatan Singh Deo had been to the CPMG’s office. He completed his work and was about to kick start his two-wheeler when it caught fire over some unknown reason.

Assistant Director Milan Rout, who was present at the spot, saw the fire emanating from the vehicle and alerted Sanatan to get off the motorcycle. The fire soon engulfed the whole vehicle. However, Sanatan managed to get off the vehicle and save himself.

On being alerted, deputy divisional manager (PLI) Sarbeswar Mishra rushed to the spot along with security guard Shiva Prasad Sahu. Before the fire could spread further, Shiva used his presence of mind and doused the flames with a fire extinguisher.

Moved by his bravery and presence of mind to act swiftly and extinguish the fire, Chief Postmaster General Subhendu Swain praised Sahu and announced a reward of Rs 2,000 for his act of courage.

This isn’t the first time, a two-wheeler has caught fire. There have been a lot of accidents in the recent past when two-wheelers have caught fire in Bhubaneswar. However, most of the two-wheelers are electric vehicles.

The incident of a Royal Enfield catching fire has raised concerns.