Mrunal Manmay Dash

A 70-year-old man in Kerala’s Thrissur had a close shave when his mobile phone exploded and caught fire in his shirt pocket. The incident occurred on Thursday.

Though the man, identified as Eliyas from Marottichal in Thrissur escaped unhurt, the video of the incident captured on the CCTV camera has triggered concern.

Eliyas was having tea at an eatery when the phone exploded and caught fire inside his shirt pocket. Following the explosion, his shirt caught fire and he screamed for help. He, fortunately, managed to throw the phone out and escaped unhurt.

The owner of the eatery doused the fire by sprinkling water on the burning phone.

As per a report in Mathrubhumi, this is the third such incident in the state in less than a month.

On April 24, an eight-year-old girl in Thrissur was killed after her mobile phone exploded while watching a video.