Have you experienced the frustration of losing or having your phone stolen? It can be a stressful experience, not only because of the cost of the device but also because of the important data that may be stored in it.
Fortunately, if you live in India, there is a way to track your lost or stolen phone through the Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) portal.
Here are the steps you can take to find your lost or stolen phone:
What is CEIR?
The CEIR is a centralized database of mobile phones that have been registered in India. It was launched in September 2019 by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) to prevent the use of stolen or lost mobile phones.
The CEIR database is maintained by the Centre for Development of Telematics (CDOT) and contains information about the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) numbers of mobile phones.
How to find your lost or stolen phone through CEIR portal?
To find your lost or stolen phone through the CEIR portal, follow these steps:
- First, you need to log on to the CEIR website at https://ceir.gov.in/.
- Once you are on the website, select the "Report Lost/Stolen" option.
- You will be asked to enter your phone number, email address, and the IMEI number of your lost or stolen phone. You can find your IMEI number by checking the box of your phone or by dialing *#06# on your phone.
- After entering the required information, click on the "Report" button.
- Once your report is submitted, you will receive a confirmation message with a unique request ID. You can use this ID to track the status of your report.
Once you have submitted your report, the CEIR will blacklist your phone's IMEI number, which means that it will be blocked from accessing any mobile network in India.
This makes it difficult for anyone to use your lost or stolen phone. If your phone is found, you can also use the CEIR portal to unblock your phone.