The woman who was battling for her life after consuming poison along with her son and daughter died while undergoing treatment at VIMSAR, Burla on Monday. A day earlier, her son and daughter had died.
The deceased woman has been identified as Kumudini Sahu, a resident of Masterpada in Sohela area in Bargarh district.
With her death, Kumudini’s entire family has been wiped out within a week as her husband had died on September 6.
It is said that Kumudini, her son Bansidhar and daughter Subarna had been under severe mental stress since her husband’s death.
It is alleged that they were unable to come to terms with the loss and attempted to end their lives. They locked themselves in a room and consumed insecticide at around 11 am on Sunday.
Their neighbours somehow came to know about this and immediately informed the police.
Upon reaching the spot, the police broke open the door and rescued them in serious conditions. They rushed the trio to Sohela Community Health Centre (CHC). Later, Bansidhar was shifted to VIMSAR, Burla. However, he breathed his last while undergoing treatment.
A few hours later, Subarna succumbed while being shifted from the Sohela CHC to VIMSAR, Burla.
Today, the mass cremations of the deceased family members are to be performed at the village cremation ground, it was learnt.