Vikash Sharma

In a tragic turn out of events, the girl, who sustained critical injuries in the road accident involving a luxury car (Range Rover) near Power House Chhak in Bhubaneswar on October 31, succumbed on Friday. The deceased has been identified as Lopamudra Sahu.

She was battling for her life in the ICU of a private hospital in Cuttack for the last four days. Lopamudra had sustained critical injuries on head and other parts of the body in the mishap. She was initially admitted to Capital Hospital and shifted to SCB in Cuttack. Later, she was shifted to a private hospital in Cuttack.

Even though the driver of the luxury car has been arrested, several questions are still unanswered in connection with the road accident. Two persons –a retired CISF jawan Kanhucharan Nayak and her relative Lopamudra Sahu were injured in the accident.

Meanwhile, Police are yet to clear the air surrounding the luxury car. As two airbag of the luxury car got busted during the accident, it is suspected that one more person was also present inside the vehicle apart from the driver when the mishap occurred. So far it has not be ascertained about that ‘second’ person travelling in the luxury car.

The luxury car ( with registration number OD-23K 0006) reportedly belongs to a company in which Bishal Kumar Das, the son of former Odisha minister Late Naba Das, is a director. The role of the Commissionerate Police also came under questioning from various quarters after it issued a press release about the accident mentioning a different registration number of the vehicle. Later Minister Naba Das’ son could not be contacted over the matter.

Earlier in the day, deceased Lopamudra’s brother had said, “We want justice as we have sold our ornaments and other valuables to meet the medical expenses. The Commissionerate Police had initially issued one registration number of vehicle and now it has been changed. We do not whether they are late minister’s family or anybody other, we want justice. Those involved in the accident have not contacted us.”

The injured girl’s family members said that no police official had informed anything about the development or the arrests in the case.

Another relative said, “I had initially received the phone call and was informed about the accident. We went to Capital Hospital and later our patient was shifted to Cuttack SCB and later to a private hospital. The registration number of the vehicle involved in the accident has been changed. We suspect that police is trying to change it owing to some pressure.”

  • Reported by: