The mishap involved the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, the Shalimar-Chennai Central Coromandel Express, and a goods train.
5 deadliest train accidents in the history of India
At least 233 people have been killed while 900 others are battling for their lives with multiple injuries after an express train hit the derailed coaches of another train in Odisha’s Balasore.
The mishap involved the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, the Shalimar-Chennai Central Coromandel Express, and a goods train. The crash is one of the deadliest train mishaps in India in recent times and has left the entire nation in shock.
1. Bihar Train Disaster (500-800 deaths): It is by far one of the deadliest train accidents in India with over 500 to 800 deaths. The incident occurred on June 6, 1981 after a passenger train fell into Baghmati river near Saharsa Bihar.
2. Firozabad train mishap (358 deaths): At least 358 people were killed after Purushottam Express rammed into Kalindi Express near Firozabad in Uttar Pradesh. The incident occurred on August 20, 1995.
3. Awadh-Assam Express mishap (268 deaths): At least 268 people were killed and around 359 injured after Awadh-Assam Express collided with Brahmaputra Mail at Gaisal on August 2, 1999. The incident occurred while Awadh Assam Express en route to Guwahati was stationary at a station named Gaisal. The Brahmaputra Mail carrying Indian soldiers and servicemen from Assam was on its way to the border.
4. Khanna Rail Disaster (212 deaths): The incident occurred on November 26, 1998 when Jammu Tawi-Sealdah Express rammed into three derailed bogies of Amritsar-bound Frontier Golden Temple Mail at Khanna, Punjab. At least 212 people were killed in the tragic train mishap.
5. Gyaneshwari Express train (170 deaths): A suspected attack by Maoists killed at least 170 people onboard Mumbai-bound Howrah Kurla Lokmanya Tilak Gyaneshwari Super Deluxe Express between Khemashuli and Sardiha in West Midnapore district. The incident occurred on May 28, 2010.