Himansu Shekhar Rout

Tension prevailed again in Sambalpur on Thursday hours after the police lathi-charged scores of agitating people following the death of a minor boy in an accident on Wednesday night. 

Earlier on Wednesday night, a tourist bus knocked down the minor boy, identified as Dishan Nayak, near Laxmi Talkies while he was on his way to a medicine shop on his scooter. Dishan died on the spot after being hit by the bus. 

Angry over the mishap, people ran amok and tried to vandalise the bus. They staged protests over the entry of a bus into the crowded area. To disperse the crowd, police had to resort to lathi-charge and detain a dozen of protestors.

Again on Thursday, local people staged a road blockade demanding compensation to the bereaved family. The agitating people laid the body on the road and staged a demonstration demanding Rs 50 lakh compensation to the next of kin. Protestors also demanded that the operation of the heavy vehicles should be prohibited inside the city after 6 pm.

The agitators also demanded the immediate release of the detained persons. 
Meanwhile, keeping in view the tense situation, police forces were redeployed while some senior police officials are keeping a close watch on the situation.    

Speaking to the media, one of the agitators said, "We demand the release of detained persons and Rs 50 lakh compensation for the victim's family.  Moreover, heavy vehicles and buses should not be allowed into the city after 6 pm.”

Additional SP, Harish Chandra Pandey said, “We are negotiating with the people on the issue. Police have detained 12 persons. Two platoons of police were deployed at the site. In fact, buses were not operating on the route. Under what circumstances the tourist bus came on that route is under investigation. The SP ordered an investigation into how the tourist bus was on that route. We will look into it once we are free.”    

ADM Ajambar Mohanty said, “Nearly 40 people who were in the bus were safely rescued and kept at the CRPG camp near the Jail Chhak after the accident.  At around 2 pm a bus was arranged for them after completion of their medical check-up.”

Later in the day, the protestors withdrew the roadblock after getting assurance from the district administration, sources said.

  • Reported by: