Mrunal Manmay Dash

A massive fire broke out at the Saheed Rendo Majhi Medical College & Hospital otherwise known as Bhawanipatna Medical College in Kalahandi district in the wee hours of Tuesday.

The fire reportedly originated from the Obstetrics and Gynaecology ward where many patients were being treated.

As per reports, the fire sparked due to a reported short circuit on the fourth floor of the MCH building of the Rendo Majhi Medical College and Hospital.

The attendants saw thick smoke emanating from the fourth floor who informed the hospital authorities. There were at least 40 beds on the floor with as many pregnant women on them. They were evacuated by the medical authorities.

“We saw smoke coming out of the ward. Newborn babies were there. So we immediately brought the mothers and their babies down from the fourth floor. It was very difficult, but we had to do it for the sake of their lives,” said an attendant of a patient.

The firefighters were pressed into action who doused the blaze subsequently.

Speaking about the incident, Kalahandi ADMO Ranjan Mitra said, “I was informed at around 12:10 am that there is a fire in the MCH building. We rushed to the spot and evacuated patients from the fourth floor. It is definitely due to a short circuit. We are investigating the incident.”

“Thankfully nobody was injured in the incident and all were evacuated safely,” he added.

  • Reported by:
  • Rajkumar Shingdeo
scrollToTop