Lord Curzon platform or Lord Curzon Mandap, an elevated viewing tower adjacent to the boundary wall of Lord Lingaraj Temple in Bhubaneswar, is all set to get renovated.
The British era viewing tower, named after then Viceroy of India Lord Curzon, offers a grand view of the majestic Lingaraj temple and serves as an ideal place to frame pictures of the shrine complex.
Khordha Collector K Sudarshan Chakravarthy recently directed the (Roads and Buildings) department to take measures for renovation of the platform located near the north gate of Lingaraj Temple.
Chakravarthy, accompanied by additional collector, paid visit to Lingaraj Temple and came across Lord Curzon Platform while taking a stroll. As per the signboard put up at the platform, it was built in 1925 by then Governor of Bihar and Odisha Sir Henry Wheeler, especially for the visit of Viceroy Lord Curzon.
It is believed that Lord Curzon, who was appointed Viceroy of India in January 1899, was denied entry to Lingaraj Temple for being a non-Hindu. Later, the view tower was constructed alongside the compound wall of Lingaraj Temple complex following his instruction.
As the entry of non-Hindu foreign tourists to the premises of Lord Lingaraj Temple is prohibited, Lord Curzon Mandap now facilitates visitors to have an unhindered peek at the architectural patterns of this religious marvel. Non-Hindu tourists as well as photographers climb atop the viewing tower and take pictures of the temple complex.