According to sources, the family members went to bed after having their dinner late Sunday night. However, they complained of vomiting and diarrhoea soon after.
Lady teacher, 2 sons die of suspected ‘food poisoning’ in Odisha’s Ganjam
In a tragic incident, a woman teacher and her two sons died due to suspected ‘food poisoning’ in Odisha’s Ganjam district on Monday. The shocking incident has been reported from Sriramnagar area under Sheragada police limits.
The deceased have been identified as Sabitri Dakua, a teacher at Sheragada Mahatma Gandhi High School and her two sons. On the other hand, the lady teacher’s mother-in-law is battling for her life.
According to sources, the family members went to bed after having their dinner late Sunday night. However, they complained of vomiting and diarrhoea soon after. Other family members took them to Sheragada Community Health Centre (CHC).
However, the woman and her two sons died while undergoing treatment, hospital sources said.
“Her condition was very critical. She was in immense stomach pain and experienced vomiting. She was not able to stand properly and was also affected by diarrhoea. Accordingly, I provided her treatment,” informed Kanha Das, Medical Officer, CHC, Sheragada.
When contacted, Sabitri’s husband Prashant Dakua said, “My two sons had consumed bread and milk. My mother, me and my wife had eaten Paneer, curry made of ‘pointed gourd’, roti and drunk milk before going to bed.”
“All of a sudden at around 11:30 PM, our younger son started vomiting. Soon my entire family was affected by diarrhoea and experienced vomiting. I suspected food poisoning. Maybe some insect or reptile had fallen into the milk while boiling it. I’m still clueless about what happened. I’m completely devastated now,” he added.