Cassian Baliarsingh

An elephant was electrocuted after it came in contact with an 11KV live wire laid by poachers to trap boars at Sambalpur Sadar range, reports said on Monday.

While the elephant had reportedly died on December 5, the matter came to the fore after forest officials spotted the carcass of the elephant at Bhimkhoj forest under Sadar forest range in Sambalpur, informed the DFO.

According to sources, the forest officials were keeping a tab on the movement of the jumbo that was moving through the area. However, they found it missing from December 5. Later, a search operation was launched following which they found the jumbo dead.

A preliminary probe revealed the jumbo died of electrocution after coming in contact with the 11KV live wire laid for poaching wild boars.
Soon after being alerted, forest personnel rushed to the spot and launched a probe. Swinging into action, the forest officials detained three poachers from Khairamal village for interrogation in this regard.

“There was a festival so the poachers had laid an 11KV live wire to poach the wild boars. However, the pachyderm that had strayed into the forest came in contact with the live wire and lost its life. Accused will be booked under various acts and strict action will be taken against them,” informed the DFO.

On the other hand, the autopsy of the carcass was performed in the presence of the DFO, ACF, RCCF and local sarpanch.

scrollToTop