Rajendra Prasad Mohapatra

In a tragic incident, a girl student suffered serious burn injuries and another student became unconscious while taking part in the Nua-O 'Juba Odisha Nabin Odisha' programme in Rayagada on Wednesday.

Both of them were admitted to a nearby hospital in critical condition.

As per reports, the unfortunate incident happened during the programme at GIACR college playground. While a student fell into a hot oil pan following a stampede-like situation, another student fell sick in the scramble. The student who fell into the hot pan suffered five per cent burn injuries. Both of them were admitted to the nearby hospital.

As per sources, more than 10,000 students from 68 colleges of 11 blocks attended the concluding day of the Nua O Juba Odisha Nabin Odisha programme.

Several students alleged that the unfortunate incident happened due to the huge rush among the students as there was not enough food available for the participants.

“I had come to participate in the Nua O programme. However, there was a huge rush among the students as the food prepared for the participants was not sufficient. Amid the huge rush, someone gave me a hard push and I fell on the hot oil pan near the cooking spot. I suffered serious burn injuries in the process. Later, two NCC cadets of my college rescued me and brought me to the hospital,” said the girl who suffered burn injuries.

“One student has suffered five per cent burn injuries. She has been admitted to the surgery ward. Her treatment is going on as per the requirement. The condition of the other girl, who had lost her consciousness, is stable now,” said Rayagada CDMO, Lalmohan Routray.