Pradeep Pattanayak

In a tragic incident, a girl was electrocuted while making preparations for Kumar Purnima at Shailang village under Ghasipura police limits in Keonjhar district on Saturday. 

The deceased has been identified as Rashmita Jena, daughter of Shailendra Jena of Shailang village. 

Today being Kumar Purnima, a festival for girls, Rashmita was making arrangements for the puja. However, she accidentally came in contact with a live wire and collapsed on the ground after suffering shock.  

Family members rushed her to Anandapur Sub Divisional Hospital. However, it was too late by then. The doctors there pronounced her received dead. 

On being informed, a team from Ghasipura police station reached the hospital and launched a probe after registering an unnatural death case. 

As the news of Rashmita’s death broke, the Kumar Purnima celebration mood in the village turned sour with a pall of gloom enveloping the village.   

Last month, some students of a private university in Cuttack came in contact with an 11kv electric wire while carrying an idol of Lord Ganesh to their institution on a tractor. While one had died of electrocution, two others had sustained serious injuries.

(Reported by Muna Singh)