Mrunal Manmay Dash

A fire was reported from a shopping complex at Marichikot Chhak on Grand Road in Puri on Wednesday. Sources informed that three persons have sustained injuries and hospitalised.

As per reports, the fire broke out at Laxmi Market Complex, with huge clouds of smoke emanating from the building.

Sources said, the fire started at a readymade garments store on the first floor of the shopping complex which has 40 shops of different kinds. The complex also houses a hotel and a bank on the upper floors.

A shop owner at the shopping complex alleged, “There is no fire safety system installed here. There is no fire escape plan. I wonder how the administration allowed the market complex to operate.”

While the reason of the fire is yet to be ascertained, it is suspected that a short circuit may have triggered the fire.

Puri Sub-Collector, Bhavataran Sahu said, “We still do not know how the fire started. Our priority is to bring the fire under control.”

Six fire tenders rushed to the spot and efforts are on to bring the blaze under control.

Deputy Fire Officer, Pradeep Kumar Rout said, "90 percent of the fire has been brought under control and will fully control it soon."

Puri MLA, Jayant Sarangi said that the administration has completely failed in Puri. "There is no fire safety system installed and nobody is even checking them," he alleged.

(Reported By Madhusudan Mishra & Pradeep Mohanty, OTV)