Mrunal Manmay Dash

Irresponsible explosion of firecrackers during Diwali celebrations on Sunday evening resulted in several burn injuries cases in Bhubaneswar.

The injured who suffered mainly burn injuries include men, women and children. They were brought to Capital hospital for treatment.

A special team of the hospital, formed to deal with burn injuries during Diwali, was pressed into action after patients began to flow on Sunday evening.

Fire Incident in Sambalpur

A Diwali rocket caused a huge fire at an apartment in Sambalpur on Sunday night. As per reports, fire broke out at the third floor of Shyama Vatika apartment in Sambalpur’s Khetrajpur area after a stray Diwali rocket ended up inside the apartment.

Fortunately, the flat was empty during the fire, so there were no injuries in the mishap. However, a small waste dumped near the apartment caught fire and was reduced to ashes.

Fire Mishap in Nuapada

In another incident, a house at Santoshimandirpada in Sinapali, Nuapada was reduced to ashes after a huge fire engulfed the house following fire cracker explosion during Diwali.

Sources said, the owner of the house, Zamir Khan had huge amount of cotton stocked in his house, which aggravated the fire even more. He is a businessman and deals in mattresses.

Upon being informed, fire department personnel rushed to the spot and put out the fire. However, by then, the house had nothing left in it as almost everything was charred in the mishap.

“We were at the shop as usual. My children were at home and playing with fire crackers when the mishap took place. By the time we reached home, almost everything was charred in the fire. I have nothing left in my house,” said Zamir Khan.

Firecracker Mishap in Jajpur

Similarly, four persons including a woman and two children sustained burn injuries during Diwali celebrations in Sadakpur and Byasanagar areas of Jajpur district on Sunday evening. All the injured were admitted to Jajpur Road medical for treatment. 

Two houses in the tribal slum near Dala overbridge under Byasanagar municipality caught fire in similar kind of firecracker mishap on Sunday evening. Fire department trucks reached the spot and doused the flames.