In a shocking incident, a five-year-old boy was charred to death in a fire mishap at Badapada village in Kendrapara’s Pattamundai on Thursday.
The deceased has been identified as a resident of Matia village who had come to a relative’s house at Badapada to attend a marriage function.
According to sources, it was the wedding ceremony of one Ratnakar Mallik’s son. When petrol was being poured into the fuel tanks of motorcycles of the members of the entourage party, a fire broke out. The fire suddenly spread to the house, reducing two rooms and the tent to ashes. In the fire, the five-year-old boy died and two others suffered severe injuries. The injured children were rushed to Pattamundai health centre.
On being informed, the police reached the spot and recovered the body for post-mortem. They have launched a probe to ascertain the cause of the mishap. It is suspected that smoking may have triggered the fire.