Two labourers lost their lives due to asphyxiation at a brick kiln at Manapur village under Dhenkanal’s Kantabania police limits on Thursday night. Another labourer was also injured in the incident.
The deceased belonged to Pallahara area in Angul district.
As per reports, three labourers had gone to sleep after working at the brick kiln on Thursday night and left a diesel generator running inside their sack. Two of them were found dead in the morning while the third labourer was rescued in critical condition.
It is suspected that the duo was asphyxiated by the smoke from the generator.
The injured labourer was initially rushed to Angul district headquarters hospital for treatment from where he was shifted to SCB hospital in Cuttack after his health deteriorated.
Sources said, the labourers used to work at the brick kiln in the day and used to sleep in the kiln premises during the night.
Police reached the spot and launched a probe into incident. The owner of the brick kiln refused to comment on the matter.